Computer Use Policy
Computers in the Libraries are available for academic work by Smith and Five College students, faculty and staff. The Libraries follow the college’s policy for Acceptable Use of Computer Resources.
Library computers provide access to online content including journals and databases licensed by Smith and an extensive suite of campus software and tools.
Workstations & Equipment
- Mac and Windows workstations are available in the Neilson Library, Hillyer Library, and Josten Library. Workstations in Alumnae Gymnasium are available when not in use by a class, workshop, or event.
- Media Production Workstations are equipped with a variety of digital media production and GIS software; they are available in the Neilson Digital Media Hub and the Alumnae Gymnasium Knowledge Lab.
- See Media Production Spaces and Media Production Services & Support for more information.
- Mac and Windows laptops, as well as numerous technology accessories are available for loan to Smith students, faculty, and staff in Neilson Library.
- See Equipment Loans for more information.
Computer Access for Five College Students
Computers designated for Smith College users require a current Smith network login. Five College students who are registered for Smith classes received an initial email when they first registered. If they’re unable to find this information, have them contact the IT Service Center by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.
Five College users (Amherst, Hampshire, Mount Holyoke, and UMass Amherst), Smith College alumnae, and unaffiliated researchers may use Discovery Stations in Neilson, Josten, and Hillyer libraries, which allow for catalog searches and short-term use of databases.
Wireless & Network Access
The Smith College Libraries support wireless internet access in all locations.
Smith College users and guests: Use Connect2Smith, Smith's local wireless network, for easy access to the Smith network. Available for Smith users, guests and community members.
- Select the Connect2Smith wireless network.
- When prompted for a password enter: sophiasmith
Smith College users: If you expect to travel within the Five College community or other institutions that use eduroam, ITS highly recommends setting up eduroam before you travel. Please see Connecting to Eduroam (Smith ITS)
Five College users and visitors from eduroam participating institutions: If you are a visitor from a participating eduroam institution, you may connect to the eduroam wireless network at Smith if you have first connected to eduroam at your home institution. If you haven't first connected to eduroam at your home institution, you may use the Connect2Smith wireless network.